Sunday, March 23, 2008

Simple Fish Soup


I really shouldn't be blogging right now. I have corn muffins in the oven. Henry needs a walk. I need a shower. And I have work to get done; there's an exciting new project happening at work, but it has caused me to stay late on Friday, go to work on Saturday and work from home today. Oh yeah, and it's Easter Sunday. We'll be bringing Easter dinner to the noodle and parents later in the day.

But!

I have to share this recipe. Yesterday was a productive, but busy day. I had a great piece of cornmeal encrusted cod for dinner on Friday night, but I had about a pound of cod that I didn't use, and since fish is no good days later -- I had to do something! So my trusty How to Cook Everything came to the rescue. I adapted Mark Bittman's "Lighting-Quick Fish Soup" to my ingredients and liking. It has a nice little kick to it and comes together, well lightning-quick.

Simple Fish Soup (gluten free, dairy free)

4 cups of fish, chicken, or shrimp stock (or water)
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon paprika
1 pinch saffron
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup of canned, diced tomatoes
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 lb of cod, or any white fish -- cut into chunks
Minced parsley to garnish

ETA:

Saute the onion, garlic, tomatoes and spices in the olive oil, then add the stock and bring to a boil, then turn heat to medium and cook for five minutes.

Add the fish and cook for another five minutes at medium heat. Garnish and serve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've actually never tasted fish soup, but this does sound very good. I have Bittman's vegetarian book--must give it another try!

Liz said...

I think I've only actually had it myself a few times, because well -- fish soup just doesn't sound that appetizing. But it was a pleasant surprise!