Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Coconut Banana Muffins

Or shall I say mini Coconut Banana Muffins. There I go again with my infatuation of all things miniature, or is my new obsession all things coconut now? I should state that I find when baking gluten-free goods -- the smaller, the better. There's less of a chance for crumbliness when you're creating a mini muffin, versus a regular sized muffin. And these held up very well.

The texture of these little guys isn't the same as a regular muffin, you can definately tell they're made with coconut flour, but I like that. They're a hearty lot and not very sweet. And the fiber? They are loaded with it. Coconut flour has the highest percentage of dietary fiber (58%) than any other flour. Just imagine how fiber-rific they'd be if you added some ground flax seed to this mix...

Coconut Banana Muffins

3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
3 eggs
2 tablespoons agave nectar
1 overly-ripe, mashed banana
1/2 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
(toasted coconut and pecans for tops optional)

Preheat oven to 375F. In a medium-sized bowl combine the coconut oil, eggs, agave nectar, banana and vanilla extract. In a smaller bowl, combine the coconut flour, salt and baking powder until all lumps are gone. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ones until thoroughly combined.

Using a teaspoon, fill mini-muffin tins 3/4 full (mine are non-stick, but coats yours with oil if they are not) and top with toasted coconut and/or pecans. Bake for 12 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.




12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was probably the best g-f baked good that I have had to date!

Liz said...

Thanks Janet! I'm glad you enjoyed them :)

K Allrich said...

Yum. I have to get a mini muffin pan. Those little gems look so cute. ;)

Liz said...

Thanks, Karina! I find them the perfect size when I just need a snack :)

Melanie said...

I just got some coconut flour this week and I am trying out some recipes with it. So far so good!

Anonymous said...

you have coconut flour listed twice in the recipe...is that a typo or is the second one supposed to be coconut milk or oil?

Emerald Green said...

i'm also wondering about the double coconut flour - assuming it's coconut oil?!

Liz said...

Hi Anon and EG

It was a typo. The recipe only calls for 1/4 cup of coconut flour. It's not fixed in the post.

Thanks for catching that!

Anonymous said...

Anyone have any suggestions for me...i've tried this recipe numerous times and the muffins are always uncooked in the center. Even when cooking them for 20 mins. All ingredients were done exactly as listed! Thanks =)

Liz said...

Hi Anon,

I know you said you followed the recipe exactly, but the only thing I can think to ask you is if you made them miniature or regular sized?

Anonymous said...

Yup, I made them mini just as you said. Maybe I'm just not used to GF baked good being so moist, lol.

Unknown said...

I love baking with coconut flour! I tried these out yesterday and they have turned out brilliantly! Even my gluten-eaten family have devoured them!