Tuesday, March 4, 2008

C is for Cookie


That's good enough for me (and gluten-eaters).

I can take no credit for this recipe, it all goes to Annalise Roberts whose book is a gluten-free Godsend. I was introduced to the book through my boyfriend's mother who after hearing of my gluten and dairy intolerances decicded to do some research and found the book and made some amazing recipes from it. The one that sticks in my mind (and heart, and soul, and stomach) are her chocolate chip cookies. Really, I think I would be one cranky gluten-free eatah had I not experienced these cookies. They are the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever had -- gluten-filled, or gluten-free. And they are dairy-free if you use Enjoy Life or Tropical Source chocolate chips.

They're my go-to recipe. When I need to make something to bring to a party, or as a gift -- I make these gems. For Christmas I gave a box to my hairdresser and his co-worker exclaimed that they were "the best cookie's he's ever had!" I've taken them to parties where their gluten-freeness was unknown and I've had friends who were visiting ask if they could bring some home. So, when it comes to feeding the gluten-eaters -- they get the job done.

The only reason I feel okay with posting this recipe is because Annalise has it on her website (but buy the book for the others -- it's so worth it). Follow the directions exactly and you'll have some yummy cookies.

1 cup vegetable shortening (not butter or margarine)
1 cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons brown rice flour mix*
1½ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
12 ounces chocolate chips (optional – plus ¼ cup)
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Baking spray to grease cookie sheets

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Beat shortening, sugar, and brown sugar at medium speed in large bowl of electric mixer. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until fluffy.

Blend in flour, baking soda, salt, and xanthan gum. Mix in chocolate chips and nuts.

Drop by heaping teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake in center of oven for 8–10 minutes until golden brown. For convection ovens — bake at 350°F using no more than three trays at a time. Transfer to a wire rack and cool. Store in airtight container.

*Superfine brown rice flour, tapioca flour and potato starch -- click on "gluten-free flour mixes" to get exact measurements for the brown rice flour mix.

Oh, cookie, cookie, cookie starts with C.

6 comments:

Kate said...

They really are the bestest cookies. Maybe I need to make some today because I just finished the Indian pudding you made.

Liz said...

They are de-lish, Kate! Though, I've been attempting to cut back on my sugar intake and staring at these when I work on my blog is tempting. I do have some dough in the freezer...

Anonymous said...

Yes, these are awesome cookies! She had the recipe in Gourmet Magazine at one time (I'm pretty sure it was this recipe). This is a good "launching pad" recipe. I've tweaked it a couple different ways and it's always good.

I come here for the good writing and great recipes, but always stay for the dog photos! Aaahhhh...

Cheers!
Melissa

Liz said...

Hey Melissa! I should totally try tweaking it a bit -- perhaps use some flours that are a bit more nutritious...

Haha! And there are more dog photos coming. Henry can't stay away from the camera.

Katie said...

mmm these cookies look absolutely delicious! and I so love your pup in all the pics! What a sweetheart. Looking forward to reading more of your blog :-)

Katie

Liz said...

Thanks, Katie! He has a way of sneaking into my photos...