Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Butter Bean and Pesto Soup

What do you do when you have a bowl of butter beans cooked with olive oil, garlic and rosemary, a tablespoon of leftover parsley pesto and one jarred artichoke heart? You blend it all together and make a soup! A very tastey, creamy, garlicy soup.

My Mom saw a jar of butter beans in my cabinet once and gave a slightly disgusted (in the nicest possible way) face. She's not a fan, and neither am I I learned -- at least not in their "bean" form. Something about the size and texture threw me off, so in an effort not to waste the beans I had to somehow transform them into something I liked, and the good eatah likes this.

Butter Bean and Pesto Soup (gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan) Serves 2

1 15 oz can of butter beans (any white bean would work here)
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon rosemary, chopped (use less if dried)
salt and pepper to taste

1 tablspoon pesto (I used some homemade, dairy-free parsley pesto, [simply blend a large bunch of parsley, 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, 2 cloves garlic and a teaspoon olive oil] I had leftover)

1 jarred artichoke heart

1/2 cup water

In a pan on medium low heat place oil and add garlic and rosemary -- cooking for two minutes. Add beans and salt and pepper and cook another four minutes, then let stand for a few minutes. In a small food processor add the beans, pesto, artichoke heart and water. Blend until desired consistency. Add more water if you like your soup thinner.

Enjoy cold, or warm.

No comments: