Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Food Review: Trader Joe's Gluten Free Pancake and Waffle Mix

Chicken wings. Pancakes. Chocolate chip cookies. And now -- waffles. I swear I eat healthy food. Really, I do. See: fresh spring rolls, fish soup and salad. But the homecoming of the boyfriend means celebrating his arrival with the foods that he may have missed overseas. Foods I know he likes. And not a lot of that vegetable stuff.

When I stopped by Trader Joes a few weeks ago I saw this: Trader Joes Gluten Free Pancake & Waffle mix. Thank the gluten free Gods for Trader Joe's. Not only are they relatively inexpensive, but they have a list online with all of the "no gluten ingredients used" in the store. That big bag down there; it cost me $2.99 and it's free of gluten, dairy, tree nuts, peanuts, soy and corn. Not. Too. Shabby.

Now on to my review; I have only made waffles so far, but they're good. Pretty darn good, in fact and really simple to put together. Luckily, I have one of those fancy waffle irons that you see at restaurant brunches, so ours were cooked perfectly. They're made with a hint of vanilla bean, which was subtle and nice and there's less than one gram of sugar per serving, so you can feel okay about drizzling a little maple syrup on your waffle. We chose to put some blueberries (previously frozen) on ours.

I'm never one to promote packaged foods over homemade, but if you're feeling a bit lazy, are short on time, or are running low on your gluten-free flour mix -- go for these gems. Henry liked them so much he felt the need to start walking his two hind legs...

Oh Henry.

5 comments:

Jack said...

That Henry, he's a GF hungry hound!

Kate said...

It's Hen-a-reee!

Anonymous said...

Glad to know that the waffle mix turns out. My best friend and I have both tried the TJ gf brownie mix (with an egg replacer) and had bad results.

Tiffany said...

Those look perfect. I love Henry in the background-how funny! I wish we had a Trader Joe's in my neck of the woods. Maybe someday :)

Liz said...

He sure is, Grumpster! One would think I don't feed the little fella with how wild he gets when food's around.

Hey Kate! It is Hen-a-reeeee and he's a huuung-a-reeeeee.

Hi Sally! I've actully tried the brownie mix too and wasn't terribly thrilled, though I did add some extra chocolate chips to the mix and it seemed to make it more chocolately to me. Luckily, the pancake/waffle mix was find just by itself, though I did use an egg in mine.

He is pretty funny, Tiffany! It was yet another moment that I wish I had my video camera out. TJ's do seem to be spreading; I hope you do get one close by!