Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Few of my Favorite Things... (2)

You know what I absolutely love? Drinking coffee brewed with just a dash of cinnamon and a splash of almond milk. It makes me feel good, it warms my body and it wakes me up. However, I am addicted to coffee: I rely on it too much to make me feel awake, I crave it first thing in the morning and I often get headaches if I don't have my daily cup of joe. And while I love my coffee, I don't like relying on it to get me through my day. Oh yeah, and I have "borderline" high blood pressure -- I blame it on the fact that my dear A-man is constantly in harms way, but I have a feeling drinking coffee isn't helping things out. So, in order to stear clear of heart-attack land (I also have a heart murmur -- yipee!) I think I should cut back a bit, and I'm starting to and it's all thanks to some wonderful, gluten-free, kosher, and thoughtful tea.


I have never described a food or brand as thoughtful before, but The Republic of Tea really fits the bill. Browsing their catalog makes me smile and feel good about purchasing tea from them: their tea bags are unbleached and have no strings, tags or staples in support of the environment, they offer tons of information on every type of tea they sell and I really dig their variety (buy it loose, in bags or as concentrate). Just recently I went on a bit of a shopping spree for Christmas gifts from them. You see, every tea of theirs is certified gluten-free and kosher. Every single one is gluten-free! And they are the first tea company with permission to include the Gluten-Free Certification Organization's certification mark on its packaging.

My goodness; I haven't even spoken about taste yet. Well, you know that cinnamon scented, almond milk splashed coffee that I adore so much? All of the teas that I have tried so far could rival (and surpass) my morning cup of joe in terms of taste (the chai concentrate is gosh-darn amazing). They even have a line of tea called Be Well Red Teas, all with roobois in them mixed with other teas and herbs. The Red Tea line has teas called: Hello Gorgeous which is good for your skin, Get Clean for detoxing and a whole bunch more for those of us wanting to work on ourselves from within.

I consider The Republic of Tea my nicorette, but way tastier and way better for you.

Tomorrow's favorite thing: not your Grandma's cookware?

4 comments:

Jen said...

I have a heart murmur too!

Anonymous said...

Good for you for cutting back on the coffee! Tea is great, too. And I had no idea it could even HAVE gluten in it!

Emilia said...

I just quit coffee myself a month ago, just to test if I was addicted or not, and I was totally addicted.
It took me a couple of weeks to feel normal again and I had a headache for a couple of days.

Now I drink a lot of white tea with peppermint (Clipper), rooibos and oolong tea.
I am totally addicted to tea too now, so I think that I have a problem with addictions.

I think you will in the end feel a lot better drinking tea than coffee. I have found through this experiment that coffee tends to make me feel really tired in the end, I think it's the same with other coffee drinkers?

Liz said...

Very weird Jenny! Mind was discovered just a few years ago.

Thanks Ricki! Barley flavoring is an ingredient that is in a good amount of teas; you usually don't find wheat and rye in them though.

I totally feel a little off and it's been two days, though I think I'll allow myself a few cups a week, though I don't know if that's smart or not. Thanks for sharing your story emilia!