Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Peas as Protein & Why I'm So Pissy

I am all armed out. For the past week (and for another additional week) I am on doctor's orders "not to use my legs."

I can do everyday stuff, like walk around the house, but I'm not to go for walks, run, bike or use the elliptical or stair climber. I'm going a bit crazy.

For me, breaking a sweat on a daily basis is almost a required event. If I don't, I get cranky and tired. So, for the last week I've been trying to get good workouts in without using my legs.

And, well, It's been challenging.


I've been boxing which is a great workout and I've been lifting - a lot. But really, that's all I can come up with. No squats, lunges, burpees, mountain climbers. No one-leg dead lifts. No lateral jumps. Those were all my go-tos. (And I already mentioned no running. No classes at the gym either.)

I should explain why I'm not supposed to be using my legs: I have stitches in the hamstring of my right leg. I had to get a weird calcified cyst removed and biopsied (haven't heard from doc; no news is good news).

I've been thinking about putting together a little video of the arm workouts that have been successful for me; I have a handful that get my heart rate up, but I just look so dorky when I'm doing them. One of these days I'll get over my vanity and post it :)


Oh! There's a point to this post. A recipe, and a good find that I'm happy to share.

There are many studies that show you need to consume protein shortly after lifting to help build muscle. This active.com article explains it best I think:

"A recent study found that addition of just 10 grams of protein to the post-exercise carbohydrate resulted in a net increase of protein uptake."


Many people use chocolate milk as a recovery drink because of the mix of protein and carbohydrate. I do that too (though I usually choose an added protein nondairy beverage, like the So Delicious brand and Ovaltine - make sure you get the chocolate and not "malt" one), but I recently stumbled on pea protein. Love and Peas, specifically.

I've known it existed for years as an alternative to whey and egg white protein powders, and I've eaten it in foods before but I decided to buy it as a supplement because in the winter I tend to do more resistance training than aerobic. And you guys, I really like it.

It's sweet, but not too sweet and has a mild vanilla flavor. If you use a lot of it, it can taste chalky, like many protein powders, but I tend to stick with one rounded scoop per drink. The best part is, because it's not dairy or egg based, it's good for sensitive stomachs like yours truly.

Here's how I've been eating mine lately:



Banana Peach Pea Protein Smoothie

1 rounded scoop of pea protein powder
1 frozen banana
4-5 slices frozen peaches
large handful spinach
about a cup of coconut milk beverage
(if you like cinnamon - a pinch is a nice touch)



Blend and drink. (A more decadent smoothie I also make with it includes the protein powder, the banana, a scoop of peanut butter, 2 tablespoons of Ovaltine and non-dairy beverage - that one tastes like an awesome chocolate peanut butter milkshake) 



3 comments:

Betsy said...

Love the little hand grabbing the spinach! Does your little guy like the smoothie? I had to work to get my kids to drink smoothies, but now they love them.

I have never tried pea protein, but may give it a go. My nutritionist keeps telling me that I don't consume enough protein.

I remember going crazy from modified bedrest during one of my pregnancies. Hope all goes well with your stitches and you are back on you feet again soon. ;)

Marlow said...

I hope you are back on your "feet" soon! I can't imagine how hard that it, but I know my hubby does! It's a good reminder to me to keep my butt in gear because I can!!

Liz said...

Thanks Betsy! He's such a funny little guy; he likes the smoothie but currently lacks the maturity to hold a cup without spilling it all over him. I should try to put it in one of his sippy cups; I just wonder if the straws will be too little for the thickness of the smoothie. We'll see! Ugh, bedrest. That has got to be tough; I can imagine you'd go a little crazy :)

Thanks Marlow! I'm counting down the days. Your fitness photos are super motivating to me; keep it up!