Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Kale My Favorite Way

Melissa's* recent post on cabbage got me thinking about it's cousin, and my favorite vegetable: kale. Superfood is the word that comes to mind when thinking about kale; it's my go-to leafy green. And for someone who doesn't eat milk products (three years ago I would have never believed I could be someone who doesn't eat cheese or milk, but that's another story...) and misses out on calcium; it helps to fill that void.

I remember reading somewhere that kale is thought of so highly in Scotland as a health food that the phrase "to be off one's kale" actually means to be ill.

There are many wonderful things to do with kale: kale mashed potatoes (must. make. this. soon.), kale chips (another simple favorite of mine that I make in small batches in my toaster oven) and kale sweet potato soup just to name a few, but here's my super-simple current favorite:

Apple Cider Kale

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup chopped red onion
2 cups of loosely packed chopped kale leaves
2 tablespoons apple cider
dash of nutmeg

In a pan over medium-high heat, saute the onion in the olive oil for about three minutes. Add the kale and saute for another minute, then add the apple cider and nutmeg and saute until the cider has rendered (I like to do this over higher heat, so the kale doesn't wilt too much). You may find you want more or less of the cider, depending on how wilted you like your kale, I like mine pretty in tact, so 2 tablespoons works for me.

*You should also check out her recent post on sugar, it is filled with the facts you need to help cut the sugar habit (if you're like me, that is, and eat too many sweets).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't kale the best?? I also rely on it for calcium. And I've been saving that kale chip recipe for ages--can't wait to try it!

Emilia said...

Kale is something I would love to eat on a regular basis, but I can't get my hands on it here, they just don't sell it anywhere, which is a shame.

The nutmeg and cider do sound like a good pairing with this, I'm sure it was good!

Anonymous said...

Lizzie — you're such a sweetie. Thanks, girl! Wow, what a good idea with the cider. That's a new one on me. I have SO much kale it's coming out my ears, so I'm thrilled to have a new way to prepare it. Speaking of apples, I responded to your comment about the itchy mouth apple peel thing. :-)

Every single time I read one of your posts, I smile or even laugh out loud. I LOVE Henry and seeing him eye your food brightens my day.

xo
Melissa

Liz said...

It really is Ricki. I try to have it at least once a day. I have a feeling you're going to love kale chips!

I wonder if you could grow it, Emilia? It seems to do well in colder climates.

Thanks so much Melissa! It's nice to have an expert's take on my weird maladies. And thanks so much for the kinds words; the little fella makes me laugh quite often too.

Simply...Gluten-free said...

I usually put vinegar with kale but apple cider would be great - come to thinkof it so would apple cider vinegar. I'll try it oyur way next time.