Monday, January 14, 2008

Stuffed Portabella

This was the very first savory gluten-free recipe that I created and booooooy, do I love it. I had a hankering for something healthy, yet filling. Chewy, yet crunchy. So I started to play. I had on hand a few ingredients: a zucchini, two portabella mushroom caps, the stump of some stale bread, and a half of a red onion. I drizzled some balsamic vinegar and olive oil into the mixture, and viola -- a healthy, filling, chewy and crunchy meal. More descriptive instructions below.


Simple Stuffed Portabellas

2 Portabella Mushroom Caps (try to use organic here, the porous nature of mushrooms make it easy for them to absorb pesticides)
1 cup of cubed, stale bread (I used Pamela's Bread Mix that I baked in my bread maker -- it is by far, the best gluten-free, dairy-free bread out there)
1/2 red onion (use less if you're not a huge red onion fan)
1 chopped zucchini
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 350

In a bowl, combine the bread, red onion and zucchini. Drizzle the olive oil and balsamic vinegar throughout the mixture. Place the mushrooms in a roasting pan and put the bread mixture over the mushrooms. Most likely, you will have too much of the bread mixture; that's okay. Put it in the pan anyway. Bake for about fifteen minutes, or until the bread cubes crunch up real nice. Eat them both as a meal, or use as a side dish.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you ever learn to combine an interesting variety of leftover foodstuffs into a masterful stir fry?

Liz said...

If that recipe were a stir-fry, I would undoubtedly say, my dear Dad. However, the recipe above is neither stirred, nor fried. It's "combined" and "baked."

Perhaps I should send the recipe to Dad...