Monday, January 5, 2009

Tastes Like Chicken: Dry Style Mushrooms


A new year, a new set of goals; just one of mine is to eat more vegetables.

I'd like to think that I'm in a constant state of evaluation, looking at my life and seeing what needs change, but I'm also just like the majority of people this time of year and the new year has motivated me to reevaluate and resolve, again, to do things differently, to live a better life, to reach my goals throughout 2009. I have a mental list (though I should write these things down, and plan on doing so for my next post) of the things I'd like to achieve, but this small goal -- eating more vegetables (and in this case, fungi) -- got a kick start this morning with some hearty mushrooms.

I already eat more vegetables than your average American, but I'd like veggies to play more of the leading role on my plate, and act less like just a side dish. I'm not turning vegetarian or vegan, I'd just like to eat less meat: for health and environmental reasons. So making mushrooms with this technique, mimicking the texture of chicken is a great recipe to get that goal started.

The first photo on this post if of a mixture of raw mushrooms, the second photo was taken after they were cooked and just above, a mushroom scramble or sorts. Mushrooms have a lot of water in them, and when cooked with this technique (adapted by Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian) become, in a good way, more chewy.

Mushrooms Dry Style (gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan)

4 oz mixed mushrooms (mine were mini potabella, porchini and button)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

In a pan with a tight-fitting lid on medium-high heat, add the oil, the mushrooms, and the salt and pepper. Mix slightly, turn to medium low heat and cover with the lid and let cook for 6-7 minutes. Then, take off the lid, stir again and put back to medium high heat and cook for another 3 minutes undisturbed until the water has evaporated. Cook for another five minutes, stirring occasionally until they get crispy brown.

Serve on their own, in a salad, in an omelet, or whichever way you please.


Doesn't Henry look like he's wincing in this photo?

5 comments:

Stacey said...

My husband loves mushrooms, I'll have to try this.

Liz said...

If your husband likes meat (like most men I know) then I think he's especially like this :)

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try this out on the HH!! Looks great to me. (And love Henry, as always--how is my son-in-law to be, anyway??) ;)

Jack said...

I think Henry is squinting to make the shrooms look more like bits of beef.

Anonymous said...

I just spent some time catching up on your blog posts. The holidays took over and it seems I lost touch with some of my favorite blogs (and dogs)! Loved your belated holiday photo. Aaah, you three are SO cute. And I love the suitcase dog carrier you have for Henry. Is it a PFD or a doggie pack with a handle? My guy, Fairbanks, weighs more than I do so I'm not going to be picking him up like that anytime soon.

I also loved the mushroom post and couldn't agree with you more about eating less meat -- and trying to make sure the meat I do eat is humanely treated. It's hard because I'd love to be a vegetarian, but my body doesn't want me to be. Mushrooms are awesome though and do taste "meaty." Great for soups and stews.

Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2009. Give Henry a pat on the head for me.
:-)

Melissa
xo